- This is a part-time, seasonal position (June thru October) working as a sawyer assisting in forest management operations on property.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES: Sawyer work on forest management activities with at least one more Cal-Wood employee.
- Operates a chainsaw in a safe manner
- Follows all OSHA safety requirements and wears the necessary safety equipment
- Repairs and sharpens chainsaws on a daily basis
- Falls trees in a safe manner in a wide variety of conditions
- Ability to follow forest management tree cutting guidelines
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Previous experience working in forestry, silviculture, forest ecology or fire ecology, with agencies at the local, state or federal levels.
- Minimum two years of sawyer work experience.
Has learned the basic skills and routine tasks necessary.
- Knowledge of power tools and hand tools necessary.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Willingly shares skills and knowledge.
- Effectively gives and receives feedback.
- Strong work ethic, be organized and have the ability to work in a fast paced setting both independently and on teams.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely, develop reports and present information both orally and in writing.
Certificates and Licenses:
- S130/190 Wildfire Certificate (preferred but not required)
- S212 or Equivalent Sawyer Certificate (preferred but not required) • CPR/AED/First Aid Certified (can receive at Cal-Wood)
- Stop the Bleed Certified (can receive at Cal-Wood)
- Wilderness First Responder (preferred but not required)
- One (1) plus years of experience as a sawyer and/or chainsaw operations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and work well within a team. • Must be willing and able to work outside which may involve inclement weather work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift 50-100 pounds repeatedly during the course of a workday. • This position will perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling materials in all types of weather.
Compensation and benefits:
- Up to 35 hours of work per week
- No housing is provided.
- Starting pay is $22.50/hour.
- This position is not eligible for Cal-Wood benefits.
If you have questions about this job posting: Email Angie Busby at email@example.com