Cal-Wood is a 1,200 acre scenic mountain setting 15 miles northwest of Boulder. We are a non-profit bringing kids and families together with nature driven by outstanding environmental education programming.
Summer Camp Counselor Naturalists (SCCN) will have an exceptionally unique opportunity to provide our campers with a fun, safe, and unforgettable experience in our 1,200 acres classroom. As an SCCN, you will be responsible for the needs of a group of campers during the day and in the cabins in the evenings. This includes campers’ social, physical, medical, and emotional needs. You will set a good example for behavior and attitude for your campers. You will also serve as a liaison between campers and administrative staff, and provide regular feedback to administrators to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of camp operations. Our camps are small, 40 campers per camp.
Responsibilities of the Summer Camp Counselor Naturalist (SCCN):
- Make connections with campers and develop meaningful relationships.
- Lead campers through various outdoor and indoor activities, such as science lessons, mountain biking, rock climbing, fishing, eco art, and much more!
- Stay overnight in-cabin with your assigned campers.
- Create opportunities within the group to allow for each camper to experience success.
- Be alert to the needs of campers and act accordingly and appropriately.
- Communicate the needs of campers to the administrative staff when appropriate.
- Show enthusiasm and encourage campers to get involved in the activities and discussions.
- Be a good role model by demonstrating positivity, cleanliness, punctuality, sharing, chores, sportsmanship, and table manners.
- Be consistent and fair when enforcing policies and procedures.
- Maintain good public relations when interacting with parents and community members.
- Instruct campers on emergency procedures and ensure procedures are followed correctly when necessary.
- When transitioning campers from one location to another, always ensure all campers are accounted for before departing and after arrival.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff. Including following all Boulder County COVID-19 regulations.
- Support other staff in the arrival, program, and departure of all campers. This includes leading orientation meetings and tours, working with the kitchen staff, and other Cal-Wood departments.
- Participate in debrief meetings at the end of each week and preparation for the following week of programs.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age. High School diploma required.
- Experience working with children desired.
- First Aid/CPR certifications required (can be completed during staff training).
- Spanish ability is highly desired, but not mandatory.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Must have COVID-19 vaccination
Exact dates of employment to be determined but roughly from June 1 - July 31.